Senate File 489 has passed recently after a 34-14 vote in its favor and for the first time in decades, it will be legal to sell, buy, and use fireworks in Iowa.
James Q. Lynch of “The Gazette” breaks down very simply what it would mean if the consumer fireworks bill is signed into law:
- Licensed retailers and community groups would be allowed to sell the fireworks out of permanent structures to adults between June 1 and July 8, and again between Dec. 10 and Jan. 3.
- They would be allowed to sell from temporary structures, such as tents, from June 13 to July 8.
- Fireworks could be set off from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. on June 1 to July 8 and again on Dec. 10 to Jan. 3 each year, but with some expanded hours on certain dates.
- Those expanded hours would be between 9 a.m. and 11 p.m. July 4 and the Saturday and Sunday before and after it; between 9 a.m. Dec. 31 and 12:30 a.m. Jan. 1; and between 9 a.m. and 11 p.m. on the Saturday and Sunday before and after Dec. 31.
*For the rest of Mr. Lynch’s exceptionally written and easy to read article, click the following link: http://www.thegazette.com/lifting-iowa-ban-on-fireworks-on-way-to-governor-20170419 *
Though this has been a hotly debated topic, the bill looks to pass at the discretion of Iowa governor, Terry Branstad. This bill looks to pass and for the first time in decades, fireworks other than sparklers and novelties will be sold. One of the major pros of this bill passing is that the state will be able to generate, by their estimates, $1.1 million dollars from sales tax revenue, which they believe will only increase in the consequent years. In addition to that, Sen. Mark Chelgren believes that there will not be a shortage of fireworks fundraisers to improve the community. Legislators believe it is imperative that the following issues are also included in the bill:
- The prohibition of sales to minors
- The ability for local governments to restrict firework use and provide firework safety education to the public
- The prohibition of high powered explosives, such as: cherry bombs, m-80’s, etc…
So, what does that mean for Entrepreneurial Iowans?
If you live in Iowa and would like to try your hand at selling fireworks, let us at Jake’s Fireworks help you! This is a great opportunity to get started as the law changes and be a front runner in your state. Jake's is one of the largest fireworks distributors in the United States. Family owned and operated for 80 years. We have the experience needed to help guide you to success.
If you are interested in selling fireworks contact us and let us answer your questions. Get started by filling out this application.
What else does it take to sell fireworks in Iowa?